Message from James "Black Jack" Jackson
Congratulations! My name is Founder James Jackson and the High Ambition Scholarship is awarded on my behalf. I truly believe that in order to attain the High Ambition Scholarship you must possess a strong desire to do or achieve something greater than yourself and exude sheer determination and hard work. These traits I deem necessary in order to win the coveted Kappa Lambda Chi Military Fraternity Inc. High Ambition Scholarship.
Scholarship Essay Announcement
Lambda D-R-E-A-M Academy
Announcement of our Annual
LAMBDA D-R-E-A-M SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
Annual High School Essay Contest
Awards: One $750 Scholarships for Future Accepted and Enrolled College Contestant
Eligibility: The Contest is open to all college-bound, high school seniors who submit an essay application through a Chapter of the Fraternity Contest. Closes: 10 May 2019
The essay must be entitled: HIGH AMBITION
Winner: Mr. Christian Merritt attending the University of West Georgia!
The essay must be original, neither previously published nor secured by copyright. The essay must be between 700 and 750 words in length and configured in APA format, with at least one cited quote directly related to the title and topic. The typed, double-spaced essay may be submitted via postal service or email in two formats: Microsoft Word and PDF.
- The student must write his own essay. He should research writing a expository essay prior to preparing the essay.
- All essays should be typed in English, with no color or graphics, 700 to 750 words in length (essays under or over this length will be eliminated). The essay title (theme) or footnotes do not contribute to the word count. At any time during the contest, additional participant personal information can be requested by Lambda D-R-E-A-M Academy (i.e., SSN, photo, etc).
- The student will sign his full legal name at the bottom of the application contestant entry form, indicating that the essay was not plagiarized. Plagiarizing of an essay, in any form, will not be tolerated and will lead to disqualification.
- The entry form is the essay cover sheet. The Official Student Entry Form should be secured to the essay by staple or other fastener (if mailed via postal service). Contestants are allowed to enter only once (one Chapter competition). Contestants found in violation of this rule will face elimination from the competition and will be required to return any and all prize money.
- The applicant’s teacher, counselor, or parent may check the essay for punctuation, grammar and/or spelling, but the content must remain that written by the applicant.
- Applicants will be judged on the basis of the essay alone; they are not required to present the essay orally.
- All essays become the property of the Kappa Lambda Chi Military Fraternity, Inc., and Lambda D-R-E-A-M Academy retains nonexclusive rights to use applicant essays and in the promotion and execution of the organization’s programs and activities.
- All essays must be properly formatted and meet the guidelines of APA (American Psychological Association).
The manuscript must be postmarked or time stamped on the email no later than midnight 10 May 2019 and sent to the Chapter’s Point of Contact in Kappa Lambda Chi Military Fraternity Inc. Each Chapter is considered a Chapter Essay Contest Sponsor approved by D-R-E-A-M program managing directors. However, each year the D-R-E-A-M Department will select ONE Chapter to host this recognition (scholarship). Do not send essays directly to the Fraternity’s Headquarters facility; all essays mailed must use the sponsoring Chapter’s mailing address. The sponsoring chapter will forward the contestant essay with their recommendation for approval to the appropriate D-R-E-A-M Department.
Persons submitting manuscripts thereby grant Lambda D-R-E-A-M Academy the right to keep the manuscripts and to exercise full publishing rights. Awards will be announced at the annual scholarship banquet about June 2019, and the decision of the judges will be final. The manuscripts must present an adequate treatment of the essay topic. Winners will be required to furnish written proof that they were enrolled in their respective high school at the time the essay was submitted. Awards will be submitted to each winner upon written verification from an institution of higher education that the individual has enrolled. Actual enrollment (not just acceptance) is required. Awards must be claimed within 18 months after the announcement date.
RATING CRITERIA FOR ESSAYS (Different from Chapter Essays)
The Applicant(s) will write or contribute to an essay consisting of six-criterion below valued at 6 points each. The applicant must achieve a score of at least 14 of 36 points on the essay to be competitive.
- Organization: Topic well developed (covers and develops major points, supplying enough information for understanding)
- Level of Content: Composition progresses from beginning to end in a logical flow of information.
- Development: Concise prose related to the point of the essay that holds the reader’s attention.
- Grammar, Mechanics: Agreement of subject and verb; proper tense; correct sentence construction; paragraphing, including transitional phrases; spelling and punctuation.
- Style: Consistent with essay theme and essay writing orientation.
- Format: Formatting according to American Psychological Association (APA). Review the scholarship section "Chapters" for correct format guidelines and procedures.
Application Essay Example
(Not in APA Format without Cover Page)
As I look forward to joining college education, I wish to apply for the D-R-E-A-M scholarship. My journey to my current educational level as a senior high school student has been nothing but easy, yet I rank among the best students in my class. It is through hard work and determination that I have come this far, and I am confident that so many people would be motivated just by hearing my story and emulating my passion in all my engagement. I, therefore, assure the D-R-E-A-M scholarship that they would consider, by distinguishing me as an Encouragement of High Ambition in my community.
When I look back to my past, I remember how financial challenges almost condemned me to a bleak future as an under-educated individual. Despite my parents' struggle to pay my school fees, they were often unable to keep up the funds required, and my fee balance for my sports attire was increasing. At one point as a junior student in high school, I almost dropped out of school to take up manual jobs because my family would miss a meal or two a day now and then. However, when my father learned of my intent he really counseled me of how it would have been best if I worked harder in my education to have a better chance to help myself and the family in future. Since then, I have been studying smartly ensuring that I stay at the top of my class and remain committed to achieving my dream to be a respected engineer in the future. I learned that with determination and persistence, one can overcome any challenges or resistance that they come across. Higher Ambition is what I see every day on YouTube and all social media. Approximately 65% of inner-city high students do not graduate High School, and 45% that attend college do not graduate (Reference).
My concern and brotherhood spirit for my community are also quite impressive. I always look out for the special needs and concerns of my peers. In particular, I am passionate about the rights of immigrant students and the challenges that the group goes through, for instance, racism. My social nature coupled with leadership skills enable me to get my peers to speak out in the face of adversity and embrace the right attitude to overcome the challenges. I am also a good public speaker and interested in mentoring junior students to achieve the best in their education and social life. Besides, I drive for satisfaction by participating in various community activities and encouraging community members to be highly ambitious in their lives. I abhor any form of social injustice and suffering including marginalization, discrimination, and poverty. Consequently, I believe that the D-R-E-A-M scholarship will inspire me, even more, to always look for the good of everyone. Moreover, help support the 35% (Reference) of high school graduates that don’t have resources available in metro areas!
Clearly, my values match perfectly with the Kappa Lambda Chi Military Fraternity Inc.’ mission to enhance wisdom and ambition among its members and their communities. Therefore, the D-R-E-A-M scholarship would have immense benefits both in my life and of the community members that I will impact positively in the future. The award will open doors for me to help the less fortunate community members through philanthropic acts, volunteering, scholarship programs, and clothe drives among other deeds as is envisioned by the Kappa Lambda Chi Military Fraternity Inc.
Don’t Forget to Sign Cover Page! (Application Form)
HIGH AMBITION STUDENT ENTRY FORM