Message From William "Wild Bill" Dickey
Congratulations! My name is Founder William Dickey and the Fidelity Scholarship is awarded on my behalf. I truly believe that in order to attain the Fidelity Scholarship you must embrace 3 unwavering capabilities. You must possess the ability to show continued faithfulness, loyalty and support to a specific cause or belief. These traits I deem necessary in order to win the coveted Kappa Lambda Chi Military Fraternity Inc. Fidelity Scholarship.
Scholarship Essay Announcement
Lambda D-R-E-A-M Academy
Announcement of our Annual
LAMBDA D-R-E-A-M SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
Annual High School Essay Contest
Awards: One $500 Scholarships for Future Accepted and Enrolled College Contestant
Eligibility: The Contest is open to all college-bound, high school seniors who submit an essay application through a Chapter of the Fraternity Contest. Closes: 01 May 2020
The essay must be entitled: FIDELITY
2019 Winner: Mr. Aryan J. Edwards attending University of Alabama!
The essay must be original, neither previously published nor secured by copyright. The essay must be between 700 and 750 words in length and configured in APA format, with at least one cited quote directly related to the title and topic. The typed, double-spaced essay may be submitted via postal service or email in two formats: Microsoft Word and PDF.
- The student must write his own essay. He should research writing a descriptive essay prior to preparing the essay.
- All essays should be typed in English, with no color or graphics, 700 to 750 words in length (essays under or over this length will be eliminated). The essay title (theme) or footnotes do not contribute to the word count. At any time during the contest, additional participant personal information can be requested by Lambda D-R-E-A-M Academy (i.e., SSN, photo, etc).
- The student will sign his full legal name at the bottom of the application contestant entry form, indicating that the essay was not plagiarized. Plagiarizing of an essay, in any form, will not be tolerated and will lead to disqualification.
- The entry form is the essay cover sheet. The Official Student Entry Form should be secured to the essay by staple or other fastener (if mailed via postal service). Contestants are allowed to enter only once (one Chapter competition). Contestants found in violation of this rule will face elimination from the competition and will be required to return any and all prize money.
- The applicant’s teacher, counselor, or parent may check the essay for punctuation, grammar and/or spelling, but the content must remain that written by the applicant.
- Applicants will be judged on the basis of the essay alone; they are not required to present the essay orally.
- All essays become the property of the Lambda D-R-E-A-M Academy retains nonexclusive rights to use applicant essays and in the promotion and execution of the organization’s programs and activities.
- All essays must be properly formatted and meet the guidelines of APA (American Psychological Association).
The manuscript must be postmarked or time stamped on the email no later than midnight 01 May 2020 and sent to the Chapter’s Point of Contact in Kappa Lambda Chi Military Fraternity Inc. Each Chapter is considered a Chapter Essay Contest Sponsor approved by D-R-E-A-M program managing directors. However, each year the D-R-E-A-M Department will select ONE Chapter to host this recognition (scholarship). Do not send essays directly to the Fraternity’s Headquarters facility; all essays mailed must use the sponsoring Chapter’s mailing address. The sponsoring chapter will forward the contestant essay with their recommendation for approval to the appropriate D-R-E-A-M Department.
Persons submitting manuscripts thereby grant Lambda D-R-E-A-M Academy the right to keep the manuscripts and to exercise full publishing rights. Awards will be announced at the annual scholarship banquet about June 2020, and the decision of the judges will be final. The manuscripts must present an adequate treatment of the essay topic. Winners will be required to furnish written proof that they were enrolled in their respective high school at the time the essay was submitted. Awards will be submitted to each winner upon written verification from an institution of higher education that the individual has enrolled. Actual enrollment (not just acceptance) is required. Awards must be claimed within 18 months after the announcement date.
RATING CRITERIA FOR ESSAYS (Different from Chapter Essays)
The Applicant(s) will write or contribute to an essay consisting of six-criterion below valued at 6 points each. The applicant must achieve a score of at least 14 of 36 points on the essay to be competitive.
- Organization: Topic well developed (covers and develops major points, supplying enough information for understanding)
- Level of Content: Composition progresses from beginning to end in a logical flow of information.
- Development: Concise prose related to the point of the essay that holds the reader’s attention.
- Grammar, Mechanics: Agreement of subject and verb; proper tense; correct sentence construction; paragraphing, including transitional phrases; spelling and punctuation.
- Style: Consistent with essay theme and essay writing orientation.
- Format: Formatting according to American Psychological Association (APA). Review the scholarship section "Chapters" for correct format guidelines and procedures.
Application Essay Example
(Not in APA Format without Cover Page)
After viewing the Lambda D-R-E-A-M Academy website, it enlightened my goals and now to begin to work hard for a scholarship to college. I want to explain the purity of being an achiever as I go into my adulthood. This is so that I can enhance my education and enable me to work, to find a good job and to escalate my chances for a great career. Fidelity is one of the most significant virtues that should not be taken for granted in society. Amidst the changing aspects, especially among the digital youths and yes I am one. We are living in times of infidelity, in marriages, colleges, workplaces, and even in churches. Today, there are more of our local citizens who need some type of assistance, i.e., food, clothing and needless to say a true friend to talk too. It is unfortunate to realize how society is being driven away from ethical and moral principles, and most people are living under the poverty level, with the hope that they achieve happiness. When we look at fidelity, it is a virtue associated with truthfulness. It is more inclined towards the role of an individual in fulfilling his or her promises to others in society. I want my parents to be proud of me after I graduate from High school and make them proud of me. I have to maintain my family values and remember fidelity is associated with judgment of the mind, and it conforms to the deeds of a person. I believe for individuals to practice fidelity and live true to their promises, the society needs to appreciate the virtue and learn to practice it collectively.
“Even in its natural order, the virtue of fidelity is associated with honesty and gaining trust” (Reference). Members of our community are dependent on one another. Since we need each other for existence and survival, it is important to trust each other and build an effective social unit in our families, churches, schools and even in social gatherings. If members of our community are not truthful, not faithful, then some cannot be trustworthy, and they end up breaking their promises.
This leads to a cracked society, where everyone is trying to use their agenda or per se posting your business on social media; these means I cut out because I must focus on being successful. It is an awful experience to realize that a close member goes behind your back to engage in unethical and immoral practices, even when we trust them. I believe the only way to achieve perfect fidelity is to practice it in our religions, families, and institutions. It is important that we learn to support others in the process of recovering our society and gaining the moral and ethical virtues we are taught from our elders, my teachers, and living.
I believe it is time to realize the importance of fidelity and practice it well, even in the middle of the period when religions and churches are undergoing tests, both within and from external forces. Fidelity is a virtue that demands constant struggles to surpass struggles that I know will become hurdles for me. I have to maintain my mind, body my nutrition and treat people as they want to be treated and remain righteous amidst the temptations around us. It is a struggle that requires all of us as a community to pray for one another and support them in the process of change. We should not watch others fall into temptations of infidelity, but rather we should pray for them, guide them to realize the adverse effects of infidelity and become the vessels of change in the community. I will get my post-high school education but I am determined to promote fidelity in our community, and I believe it takes prayer, support and positive energy to achieve my goal.
Don’t Forget to Sign Your Cover Page (Application Form)!
FIDELITY STUDENT ENTRY FORM