WHAT IS LAMBDA DREAMERS ESSAY?
Conducted worldwide, this KLC-sponsored youth essay competition gives students an opportunity to write essays expressing their views on an annual patriotic theme. We invite you to join the hundreds of students who are also participating in this competition this year. The Chapter winners will receive at least $500.
Internal Revenue Service requires that any recipient that receives more than a $599 award should receive a Form 1099 identifying the proceeds as taxable
HOW DOES THE CONTEST WORK?
All entries begin at the Chapter level. Each Chapter will identify a High School in their local community/Region, and the applicant(s) must be a student/athlete or student/non-athlete. A student/athlete is a student who maintains ‘good’ grades as well as being a member of their school’s sports program as a player, team member, etc. A student/non-athlete is a student who maintains ‘good’ grades and not affiliated with any sport programs just career academics. Additionally, the student must not have had any suspensions, reprimands, or any other type of school and/or local disciplinary action against them within one year of this application. This also includes any pending actions not yet settled or closed.
WHO CAN ENTER?
Lambda Dreamers essay competition is open to 12th-grade students enrolled by the 01 November 2019 deadline in public, private or parochial schools in the U.S or abroad., its territories or its possessions. The student must also be an athlete in the school (i.e., football, baseball, soccer, etc) or non-athlete student (i.e., pursuing career academics). Winners will be announced by December 2019. The student must provide proof of College enrollment no later than April 2020, in order to receive scholarship money.
Although U. S. citizenship is not required, students must be lawful U.S. permanent residents or have applied for permanent residence (the application which has not been denied) and intends to become a U.S. citizen at the earliest opportunity allowed by law. Dependents of U.S. military or Department of Defense (DOD) personnel in overseas schools can participate too.
HOW DO I GET STARTED?
- Ask a teacher, coach, or youth group/club adult leader to supervise the Lambda Dreamers writing competition.
- Contact a local KLC Chapter within your local area within your state and indicate your interest in participating.
- Establish a contact person who is a member of that KLC Chapter.
- Make sure that your essay is submitted to the KLC Chapter before the contest deadline of 01 November 2019.
HOW AM I JUDGED?
Applicant(s) must achieve a score of at least 10 out of 24 points on each essay. The Applicant(s) will select one of the two topics below in reference to the scholarship their actively seeking.
1. The Applicant(s) will write or contribute to an essay that consist of no less than 300 words and no more than 400 words identifying “WHAT DOES TEAM BUILDING AND TEAM COHESION MEAN TO ME.” Or….
2. The Applicant(s) will write or contribute to an essay that consist of no less than 300 words and no more than 400 words identifying “WHAT DOES VOTING MEAN TO ME.”
· The Applicant(s) will write or contribute to an essay consisting of six-criterion: (1) Organization, (2) Level of Content, (3) Development, (4) Grammar Mechanics, (5) Style, and (6) Format.
· Knowledge of the theme, theme development and clarification of ideas should be within the six-criterion of the applicant’s essay. Creative writing using these parameters is what we are looking for, remember it’s the applicant perception of the theme and reflection of their experiences and thoughts. The essay must be the applicant’s original work and a product of the applicant’s own thinking. The approach to the Lambda Dreamers theme should be positive and clearly focused on competing.
WHAT ARE THE RULES?
- Essay length: 300-400 typewritten words.
- You must write your own essay.
- All essays should be typed in English with no color or graphics and cannot be less than 300 words or greater than 400 words in length (essays under or over these word amounts will be eliminated). Every word is counted regardless of length. The essay title (theme) or added footnotes do not contribute to the word count. At any time during the contest additional participant personal information could be requested by KLC, (i.e. SSN, photo, etc).
- The student will sign their full legal name at bottom of the application contestant entry form indicating the essay to be authenticate and acknowledge that their essay was not plagiarized. Plagiarizing of an essay, in any form, WILL NOT be tolerated and if found that essay will be disqualified.
- The entry form is contestant essay’s cover sheet. Secure the Official Student Entry Form with a staple or other fastener on top of your essay. Contestants are allowed to enter only once (one Chapter competition). Contestants found in violation of this rule will face elimination from the competition and will be required to return any and all prize money awarded or received.
- The applicant’s teacher, counselor or parent may check the essay for punctuation, grammar and/or spelling, but the content must remain the applicant’s.
- Applicants will be judged on the basis of their essay alone and are not required to present the essay orally.
- All essays become the property of the Kappa Lambda Chi Military Fraternity Inc. KLC retains non-exclusive rights to use applicant essay and likeness in the promotion and execution of the organization’s programs and activities.
- All Essays must be properly formatted and meet the guidelines of APA (American Psychological Association).
To qualify, all entries must be submitted to a sponsoring local KLC Chapter NLT midnight November 1, 2019. Winners will be announced at the annual Bowties and Pearls event in December 2019.
Note-- All entries must be submitted to a KLC Chapter competition. If you have difficulty identifying a sponsoring Chapter in your area, call the LAMBDA D.R.E.A.M SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM at: (706) 315-9111, or you may also visit our website at: https://www.militaryfraternity.com/Chapters.
The Proper Format for Essays
WHAT IS THE THEME?
LAMBDA D.R.E.A.M Directors annually chooses the year’s theme. The 2019-20 themes are:
“What Does Voting Mean to me?” - For the Academic Student
Download Form Here:
“What does Team Building and Team Cohesion mean to me?” - For the Athlete Student
Download Form Here: